As we said on Monday, before we hopped on a plane yesterday, we handled our bisque colored dishwasher. We’ll get to this in a moment.
We’d been telling ourselves that it’d be better to do so once the new flooring went in (therefore we didn’t inadvertently trap it behind the new cork boards or something). But we realized that was a stupid excuse since we could just slip it on top of a couple of cork planks so it would be the exact same height as the rest of the floor after it goes in. Plus when the brand new dishwasher box stayed at work any longer we’d risk it getting a permanent side table substitute in there. It does have a large surface area after all (so things tend to stack up on top of it)…
We have never found a dishwasher. It freaked me out a bit because it was plumbing + electric + tight space. And of course I did not want to ruin a $380 appliance in the process. When Clara went for a nap on Sunday we gave ourselves a little pep talk and dove in.
First up, we turned off the hot water supply and electricity to the dishwasher. Embarrassingly enough, this step alone took us a good 15 minutes since our breaker boxes (we have two) were not labelled properly and it took us plenty of trial and error (and excursions to the cellar whilst on our cell phones to communicate) to make sure I wasn’t going to electrocute myself.
Employing a wrench I unscrewed the water supply, keeping a rag handy to catch a few leftover H20. This too took longer than anticipated due to the cramped area.
With the off water, my next step would have been detaching the drain spout from the disposal under the sink. I didn’t do this (yet) since I’d already detached it below the dishwasher just because it was in the manner of my wrench. And at this point I was attempting to reverse as little as possible just in case I had to escape (i.e. give up). The wiring is encased in a tiny metal box that was removed fairly quickly with a little screwdriver action. From there I just unscrewed the cable nuts and, just like this I was done with the electric areas of the old dishwasher.
Now I just had to concentrate on getting out the dishwasher of its own residence. First up, lowering the modest adjustable feet so it wasn’t so tight against the bottom of the countertop. Do not mind the dinged up baseboard — we’re waiting to caulk/putty/touch that up until we install the new cork flooring and add new quarter-round.
Then I had to eliminate where it had been screwed in. In the majority of cases I believe pops are actually screwed into the bottom of the counter. But ours was screwed into the cupboards on either side (perhaps because we used to have granite countertops?) . I only popped off a tiny plastic plug and then unscrewed away.
A shimmy and a shake later, and our bisque buddy was no longer clashing with our cabinets and counters. Oh, although these are not the new flooring, I pulled it out to a sheet of cardboard for extra protection and simpler sliding around.
Ahead of the brand new dishwasher could go in, though, I wanted to be sure that you get ready for the new floor. So I roughly cut some portions of our fresh cork and slid them in there so the new dishwasher would sit in the height of this new floor, not the older one. Because if it sat behind the brand new floor boards it may make getting it out for replacement or repair very hard (or impossible) down the line.
Together with the flooring boards readyout came the new energy efficient dishwasher (which we bought among a lot of additional on-sale appliances back in October).
It was at this point after reading the (very confusing) instructions for the brand new dishwasher, that we understood we needed to swipe a piece from the older one — a 90-degree elbow to help route the water supply line to the dishwasher.