We’ve all been there – reaching for the remote to turn on the TV, only to realize it’s nowhere to be found. A missing or broken remote can be a huge inconvenience, but there are plenty of ways to control your Insignia TV without using the traditional remote control.
How to Control Insignia TV without Remote?
Why You Might Need to Control Your Insignia TV Without the Remote?
There are a few common reasons you may find yourself needing to control your Insignia TV without a remote:
- You lost the remote – Remotes are small and easy to misplace. If you can’t find your Insignia remote anywhere, you’ll need an alternative way to control your TV.
- Your remote’s batteries died – Once your Insignia remote’s batteries run out of juice, the remote becomes useless until you replace the batteries.
- Your remote is broken – Remote controls can sometimes stop working correctly due to physical damage or technical issues. A broken remote makes controlling your Insignia TV difficult.
- You want more convenient control options – Using alternative control methods can provide you with more convenient ways to control your Insignia TV. For example, using voice commands through a smart speaker allows you to control your TV hands-free.
Control Options for Insignia TVs Without the Remote
You have quite a few options to control your Insignia TV without using the traditional remote control. Here are some of the most common and convenient methods:
Use the Buttons on the TV
Many Insignia TVs have physical buttons located directly on the TV. Depending on your specific model, these buttons may include power, channel controls, volume controls, input selection, and more. Locate the buttons along the bottom, side, or back of your TV’s frame.
While the on-TV buttons provide basic control, it isn’t a very convenient long-term solution. You’ll need to get up and walk to the TV every time you want to change a setting. But in a pinch, these buttons can turn on your TV or change the volume if you’ve misplaced the remote.
Control Your Insignia TV with Your Smartphone
One of the easiest and most convenient ways to control your Insignia TV without the remote is by using your smartphone. There are a few different apps that allow you to essentially turn your phone into a remote control.
The specific app you’ll need depends on your Insignia TV model:
- Insignia Fire TV – Download the Amazon Fire TV app and connect to your Insignia Fire TV. This gives you full remote control functionality from your phone.
- Insignia Roku TV – For Insignia TVs running Roku software, use the official Roku app to control your TV.
- Other Insignia smart TVs – Check if Insignia or a third party offers a control app for your specific smart TV model. If not, a universal remote app could work.
With one of these apps, you can power your Insignia TV on and off, launch apps, adjust volume, switch inputs, and perform all other remote functions right from your smartphone.
Use a Universal Remote
Another option is to purchase a universal remote that’s compatible with your Insignia TV. Universal remotes are programmed to control multiple brands of TVs, cable boxes, streaming devices, and more.
Many popular universal remotes from Logitech, Sony, Philips, and other brands include codes that work with various Insignia TV models. Check the product specs to confirm compatibility. Using a universal remote only takes a quick setup process to sync it with your TV.
A universal remote serves as a convenient full-featured replacement for your lost Insignia remote. And it can control your other devices too!
Leverage Your Streaming Device’s Remote
If you primarily use a streaming device like a Roku or Amazon Fire TV Stick with your Insignia TV, you may be able to use that device’s remote to control basic TV functions.
For example, many streaming device remotes can power your TV on and off and adjust the volume. Here are steps for two of the most popular streaming devices:
- Go to Settings > Remotes & Devices > Remote > Set up remote for TV control.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to program Roku remote buttons to control TV power and volume.
Fire TV remote:
- Open Settings > Equipment Control > Manage Equipment > TV > Insignia TV brand
- Follow the on-screen prompts to enable power and volume control of your Insignia TV
While limited, this can provide some basic TV control from the streaming device remote you already have.
Use Alexa Voice Commands
If you have an Alexa device like an Amazon Echo, you can connect it to your compatible Insignia Fire TV and control it using only your voice.
To set up Alexa voice control:
- Enable Alexa on your Insignia Fire TV under Settings.
- In the Alexa app, go to Settings > TV & Video > Fire TV and link your Alexa device.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the setup.
Now Alexa can turn your TV on/off, launch apps, search for content, and more through voice commands like “Alexa, turn on the TV” or “Alexa, open Netflix on my TV”. It’s one of the most convenient ways to control your Insignia TV hands-free.
Connect a Video Game Controller
For Insignia Fire TVs, you can connect a Bluetooth video game controller to your TV and use it to navigate the interface and control media playback.
To connect a game controller:
- Put your game controller into Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Go to Settings > Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.
- Select Add New Game Controller and wait for your TV to find the controller.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the pairing.
Once connected, buttons on the game controller can mimic remote functions. You can press the Xbox home button to go back to the Fire TV home screen, for example. While not extremely intuitive, it can work in a pinch.
Use a USB Keyboard and Mouse
Insignia TVs also allow you to connect wired USB keyboards and mice. This gives you complete control over the on-screen interface as you would with a remote.
Simply plug the USB keyboard and mouse into open USB ports on your Insignia TV. The input devices will automatically pair with the TV. Now you can click icons and type text just like you would on a computer.
A wireless keyboard/mouse combo accessory provides the flexibility of not having to sit right in front of the TV. This presents a versatile way to fully control your Insignia TV from anywhere in the room.
Troubleshooting Your Insignia TV Remote
Before exploring all of these alternative control methods, it’s worth trying to get your original Insignia TV remote working again if possible. Here are some troubleshooting tips for unresponsive Insignia remotes:
- Change the batteries – Dead batteries are the most common reason for a remote to stop working. Try inserting fresh batteries in the remote.
- Check for obstructions – Make sure the IR sensor on the TV isn’t blocked by furniture or other objects. The remote signals need a clear path.
- Perform a power cycle – Unplug the TV for 60 seconds, then plug it back in and try the remote. This can clear any software glitches preventing the remote from working.
- Repair the remote – Your remote may have lost its pairing connection to the TV. Refer to your TV manual for instructions to re-pair or sync your specific remote model. This often involves pressing certain button sequences.
With one of these simple troubleshooting tips, you should be able to get your Insignia TV remote working again in many cases. But if not, the alternative control options outlined above will have you covered until you can replace the remote.
Frequently Asked Questions About Controlling Insignia TVs Without the Remote
Here are answers to some common questions about controlling an Insignia TV without using the standard remote:
- What’s the easiest way to control an Insignia TV without the remote?
The easiest and most convenient way is typically downloading the appropriate smartphone app for your TV model. This allows remote-like control from an app on your phone.
- Do all Insignia TV models have control buttons on the TV?
Not necessarily. Some budget Insignia TVs omit external buttons to reduce costs. Higher-end Insignia smart TVs are more likely to have basic buttons for power, volume, channel control, etc. Check your specific model.
- Can I use a universal remote I already have?
You can try. Many universal remotes have pre-programmed codes that work with Insignia TVs. But make sure to check the remote’s documentation to confirm compatibility with your Insignia model.
- What if my Insignia TV doesn’t connect to Alexa?
Alexa voice control only works with Insignia Fire TV Edition televisions. If you have another Insignia model, Alexa integration likely isn’t supported. You’ll need to use one of the other control options instead.
- Do I need to use the original remote for the initial setup?
Yes, you’ll need the Insignia remote that came with your TV for the initial out-of-box setup process. After setup, you can use alternative control methods going forward.
- What Channel is Peacock on DirecTV
- How to Clear Cache on LG Smart TV
- No Disney Plus App on Toshiba TV
- How to Get Disney Plus on Older LG Smart TV
- How to Reset Vizio TV without Remote
Controlling Your Insignia TV Without the Remote
While losing your Insignia TV remote can be an initial annoyance, there are plenty of ways to take back control of your TV even without the standard remote.
Smartphone apps, universal remotes, streaming device remotes, USB accessories, Alexa voice commands, and built-in TV buttons provide alternative options to suit a variety of situations.
So the next time you misplace your Insignia remote, don’t sweat it! Just pick one of these methods and you’ll be watching your favorite shows again in no time.